SearchBlog

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Climate e-mails really just petty?

This rather lengthy MSNBC piece details the recent issue of leading climate scientists possibly covering up or intentionally misrepresenting some data. Some of the referenced discussions in the e-mail do seem like normal petty bickering by scientists, though it is difficult for me to completey dismiss certain aspects of these e-mails. My biggest issue is with the sort of glossing over of the paleo-climatological data. I already had an issue with using this data and extrapolating it to a global level with the level of confidence that was being done and this certainly reinforces the doubts I had about this data. Anyway I will be mulling this over a bit, as there may be previous examples of such things in different scientific arenas that this can be compared to. My meanderings on this are to be continued...

4 comments:

Linda said...

It would be difficult for me to dismiss as well. However, there are many other data points to choose from when measuring planet Earth changes. So I am awaiting the shakeout.

Don Shepard said...

This is basically my take as well, there is certainly a lot of evidence supporting a warming world. I just see this particular bit of information as damaging the credibility of the scientists involved and in particular data derived from tree rings... Just don't see that as petty.

Greenearth said...

I live in Australia where the extremes of weather we have been having are way outside previous norms. All I can say is it is not much fun.

For myself I have begun to live sustainably. This is the theme of my blog.

Anonymous said...

Where I am in the Mid-west U.S. there has not really been the extremes eperienced elsewhere. This is likely why there are so many skeptics in this area. Just talked with someone who was in Australia during the recent dust storm, and I know it was certainly extreme!